Six Lined Racerunner



For years I've heard of lizards living in certain places of the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, and every once in a while, I've spotted one running through the Marram Grass, but I've never been able to get a photograph of one.............until last Saturday.

Walking through the grass, I spotted this little lizard running from clump to clump. I tried to photograph him, but he kept hiding, so I kept him moving for about five minutes. That was enough to get him tired so he was easy to catch.

This particular Racerunner was a juvenile; I've seen them at least twice as large. Lizards are commonly found in the southern United States, but rarely seen this far north. I suppose the unique environment of the Indiana Dunes helps support this population. Other plants and animal species not common to the area have a hold here too, including Prickly Pear Cactus, Pitcher's Thistle, and it's possible there is a breeding population of Rattlesnake as well - I can't confirm that....yet.

No comments: